Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 minutes
Rosa's Thai Cafe
Authentic Thai cuisine
grills & marinades, pork, small bites
Difficulty: Pretty Easy
In my family, these skewers were made for us kids to eat on our walk to school – breakfast with a side order of sticky rice. They were a huge part of my childhood and I still get nostalgic when I eat them. The sticky-sweet flavour of the marinade is delicious and it’s a super-simple dish to make. You can cook the skewers in a griddle pan or under a grill, but they’re also great for the barbecue.
500g (1lb) boneless pork tenderloin, cut into thin slices
sticky rice, to serve
For the marinade:
3 coriander roots, roughly chopped
20 white peppercorns
4–5 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
5 tablespoons oyster sauce
5 tablespoons soy sauce
5 tablespoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons cornflour
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the dipping sauce:
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Pound the garlic, peppercorns, coriander roots and coriander seeds using a pestle and mortar.
- Add the oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, honey, cornflour and vegetable oil and mix well.
- Add the pork slices, ensure they are well coated in the mixture, then marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place 8 wooden skewers in water and leave them to soak.
- Preheat a grill or griddle pan until very hot. Meanwhile, thread the marinated pork onto skewers (2 or 3 slices per skewer).
- Grill or griddle the skewers for 1–2 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dipping sauce.
- Serve the skewers with sticky rice and the dipping sauce.
Share This Recipe